Monday, November 13, 2006

Two weeks of walking

Well, we have been walking Capitol Hill for two weeks now. The first Friday there were six of us and we picked up trash. Lots. It was fun and it was gross. Most people ignored us although a few interesting conversations were had along the way. "Yes, I'm doing public service. No, I'm not on parole." This past Friday we set out with pens and paper and one question - "What can we as a church do to better serve the Capitol Hill community?" We asked everyone from business owners to pedestrians to street people to half-crazed war vets. Chicago, a former Navy Seal, told us "There's nothing you can do." When we asked why, he replied, "Because you can't." Somehow, I knew what he meant. He then went on to tell me the story of his divorce and how he lost everything he had worked for and gained the streets of Colfax in exchange. He told me about all the killing he had seen in the military and how it lead him to believe that there is no God - when you die, you die, and that's it. We met Jeremy, a street evangelist of sorts who admitted being a bit hungover from the night before. He told us that our quest would take us to some dark places, "the tip of the spear" as he called it, where spiritual battles were being fought in very real ways. I could see in his eyes that he knew what he was talking about. Bruce, a hilarious and poor veteran who called himself "the rambler" because of his prodigious story telling ability, invited us up to his place. Along the way he gave two bucks to a homeless man who offered to help him carry up his stuff. When we entered his apartment, he had but a sleeping bag and could only offer us turned-over five gallon buckets to sit on. He then pulled out his scrapbook, regaled us with stories of better days, and gave us each a gift before we left (two scarves and an enormous pair of pants that the VA had given to him). He didn't have any answers for us but I'm pretty sure that he was just glad to have our company. The most common answer we got went something like this - "Help the poor out. Isn't that what Jesus would be doing?" What can you say to that except "You're right. We will do our best." A number of people asked about programs that help poor and homeless folk get jobs. I know there are places in existence, but I wonder how many of them sit with their doors open all day waiting for someone to come in because nobody knows that they're there. Do they ever go out and advertise in the right places? Do they walk the streets looking for people? I don't know. Another sad story is that many homeless folk who are able to find work end up getting taken advantage of by employers who promise to pay them and then don't. I heard that story several times. How can they find a reputable employer? I began praying about this. I have an idea, but I need to run it by the people I met first. George MacDonald said, in Lilith, "Stupid philanthropist! Before you can do good to people you must first find out how not to do evil to them!" For example, I just came from a presentation made by an organization that provides access to safe drinking water in developing countries. They often found water pumps built by well-meaning Westerners who used supplies from the U.S. with which to build. After a year, the pump broke down. Where were the locals to get parts? They couldn't. Stupid philanthropists! I don't want to be one.

1 Comments:

Blogger JJ Welch said...

What wisdom you have discovered! I know so little of the plight of the poor and homeless and you have helped me understand what I can do to help.

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home