Saturday, December 23, 2006

Thought provoking media

Just in time for another consumer Christmas - here are a few of the books and movies that have been occupying my mind lately (make sure to pick them up for your loved ones): "Eyes of the Heart: Seeking a Path for the Poor in the Age of Globalization" by Jean Bertrand Aristide. Aristide is the exiled (yet democratically elected) President of Haiti. The more I learn about Haiti, especially concerning American foreign policy towards this impoverished nation, the more I am ashamed of myself and my country. But I digress. This short book is very readable and profound in its simplicity. A brief quote: "We begin with what is in front of us. I cannot see God, but I can see you. I cannot see God, but I see the child in front of me, the woman, the man. Through them, through this material world in which we live, we know God. Through them we know and experience love, we glimpse and seek justice." I am also reading his autobiography "Jean Bertrand Aristide: An Autobiography." My favorite quote so far is, "The gospel in its raw form could act like a stick of dynamite." Speaking of globalization, go rent "Life + Debt." This documentary uses Jamaica as a case study of the effects of the lending policies of the International Monetary Fund. For example, because of the devaluation of Jamaica's currency (one stipulation of a loan), it is cheaper for Jamaicans to buy cabbage imported from the United States than it is to buy cabbage grown in their own backyard. Yikes! Not to mention the large corporations that seek to take advantage of a country that is put in a tight spot......and the contrast the director places between visiting tourists and local farmers is very disarming. Speaking of large corporations, go rent "The Corporation." No, it is not a typical anti-corporate rant. I was impressed with the depth of research done for this film. Heck, its based on a book written by a law professor/legal theorist. A compelling case is made that most corporations act according to the clinical definition of a psychopath. The film (and bonus disc) is filled with interviews from people like Noam Chomsky, Milton Friedman, and Howard Zinn, as well as CEOs, commodities traders, activists, consultants, and news reporters. I am definitely buying this one. Watch the trailer here. Lastly, let me recommend a website. I learned about the National Labor Committee while watching "The Corporation." I was very impressed with the interviews I saw with NLC Director Charles Kernaghan. Their motto is: "Putting a Human Face on the Global Economy." If you are concerned about sweatshops and worker's rights, check these guys out. OK, one more. Speaking of the global economy, the next time you need a gift idea go and buy something from 10,000 Villages. They may even have a shop near you. An operation of the Mennonite Central Committee, 10,000 Villages sells unique fair trade gifts and handicrafts from around the world. They have some really cool stuff, and it is rather affordable to boot. Peace be with you, Tim

5 Comments:

Blogger Cam and Jen said...

Thanks for the holiday rec's. Cameron got me a netflix subscription for christmas and I've just added those two documentaries to the list; they look great. Some of our fav.'s are : Winged Migration (french and very beautifl), and Ansel Adams (done by PBS and also beautiful). Enjoy the snow!

10:22 AM  
Blogger dr riptide said...

Thanks Tim. I think we have a similar heart. I'd love to watch those films, though I highly doubt I can rent them in England. I'll look into it. While I was in the States I did, however, buy "The Irresistible Revolution" and have been thoroughly enjoying it. It has encouraged me so much, as well as challenged me and given me new ideas about life as a member of 'the church.' Have you started reading it yet? I might blog some thoughts on it. So, thanks for introducing me. It has blessed me.

Keep blogging.

-Rachel

12:06 PM  
Blogger Cam and Jen said...

Tim,
We just watched The Corporation... wow. What an eye opener. I sort of feel violated by the way the 14th ammendment was so abused.
The documentary really got Cameron and I fired up and thinking- thanks for recommending it!
Jen

2:19 PM  
Blogger eric daryl meyer said...

Tim,
Thanks for your comment, I realized that I didn't have your email address, so this might be the best way I have to get ahold of you... You don't necessarily need to publish this bit. You managed to sneak a peak at my little blog before I intended to "release" it to the "public." That sounds pretentious, but there are just a few things that I'd like to clean up before I invite everyone to take a look. You are welcome to keep checking up on it though. Thanks for your interest.

I've appreciated what you have to say here - your walks around town especially sound like a rich and meaningful time. One of the lasting regrets that I am going to have from my time here in Vancouver is that we were connected to a really cool church that I didn't get as involved in as I should have. Our church does so many great things in the neighborhood and is involved in so many different forms, from providing shelter a few nights a week to protests and advocacy. But because Carolyn adn I are "so busy" (like most people... I know), and live across town, our involvement is not what it could be if we weren't trying to slam through a Masters in two years... In that regard, I'm envious of the opportunity that you have at Scum of the Earth. Thanks for doing the good work. Be encouraged...

God's Peace,
Eric

9:51 PM  
Blogger C Bailey said...

tim,

great recs - I think you would be into a guy named Paul Farmer
2 books:
Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, a Man Who Would Cure the World
&
Pathologies of Power: Health, Human Rights, and the New War on the Poor

He works in Haiti as a doctor. Seeing the poverty and oppression really "fired" him up as well.
check him out.

I have a blog with a few quotes from the book.
baileyinmontana.blogspot.com

Casey

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home